If you would like to receive more regular information about developments for Carers locally and nationally please sign up for our e-mail group as we send out regular information. We are sometimes asked for carers views on issues or for carers to become more involved in policy development etc. We will use our e-mail group to let you know about this but it is up to you if you want to become more involved.
We always need to try to raise money to continue the work that we do. If you would like to support our work please consider making a donation or becoming involved in fundraising for us.
To make a donation please go to mydonate
Please do not forget giftaid!
We are always pleased if people want to fundraise for us. There are lots of different ways that people can do this:
- Sponsored Runs or Walks – You don’t need to run a marathon but there is nothing to stop you! Get your shoes on and ask others to sponsor you.
- Coffee Morning – Why not throw on the kettle and bake a cake, all in the name of charity?
- Quiz Night – Consider organising your own quiz night for charity! Charge people an entry fee or even a levy on every wrong answer.
- Garage Sale – One person’s trash is another person’s treasure? You can spring clean your home making money for CoEL.
- Sky Dive – Raise money for CoEL by launching yourself out a plane! Ensure you plan in advance so that you raise enough money.
- Pack Shopping Bags – Get a group of friends to pack peoples shopping bags at the local supermarket in return for a donation.
- Golf Match – Organise a charity golf match.
- Swear Box – Stick a swear box in the office or at home to raise money for CoEL. Every time someone swears they have to put a 20p in the box.
For other ideas see http://fundraisers-uk.co.uk/content/top-fifty-fundraising-ideas.php
It is important that we know who is raising money for us as a charity so if you are interested in doing so please make sure that you get in touch first. We will do what we can to support you.
Please also remember Gift Aid as this can add 25p to every £1 you raise. We can explain how you can use gift aid in your fund raising.
We are always interested in hearing from people who are interested in volunteering and supporting our work with their time. This is a great opportunity to:
- Become a part of our friendly team
- Help support carers
- Gain experience
There are many ways volunteers can support our work from helping in our office, supporting events that we run, raising awareness about carers issues, contacting carers we have not spoken to in a while to see if they need more support, helping us evaluate our work. All Volunteers receive a full induction and expenses are paid. If you are interested in becoming involved in our work please contact our office.
Our Board of Directors is responsible for overall governance of Carers of East Lothian and setting it’s strategic direction. Membership is open to people who are carers or used to be a carer. It is an important role for CoEL as without good decision making at the top the organisation will not be best able to meet the needs of carers. For this reason we interview potential members of our Board before inviting them to join.
However, we are very keen to attract a diverse group of people onto our Board to ensure that CoEL can meet the needs of all carers. We are a welcoming and supportive group and if you feel you may have something to offer the organisation we would be delighted to hear from you.
Please note that when someone becomes a member of our Board they must also become a Charity Trustee and a Company Director. Certain people are barred from taking on these roles (for example people who are un-discharged bankrupts) and, because our staff are members of the Protecting Vulnerable Groups Scheme (PVG) and are Police checked, it is also necessary for Board Members to go through the same process. For more general information on the role of a Charity Trustee please see http://www.oscr.org.uk/managing-your-charity/trustee-duties/