The Scottish Government is consulting on plans for the new Scottish Carer’s Assistance. They would like to hear carers’ views on what this new payment, which will replace Carer’s Allowance, should look like when it is launched.
The consultation asks how Carer’s Allowance Supplement should be paid in future and about extra support for people looking after more than one person in receipt of disability benefits.
It also asks for feedback on proposed future changes to eligibility criteria which could be made once case transfer is complete. These include:
- removing education restrictions so full-time students can get Scottish Carer’s Assistance
- allowing carers to add together hours spent caring for more than one person to meet the caring hours requirement for Scottish Carer’s Assistance
- increasing the time carers will receive Scottish Carer’s Assistance from eight to twelve weeks after the death of a cared for person
- making payments for longer when a cared for person goes into hospital or residential care
- increasing the amount carers can earn and still get support.
Please share your views via the link: https://consult.gov.scot/soci…/scottish-carers-assistance/
The deadline for submitting a response is Monday 23 May 2022.